Sunday 30 March 2014

Is Sky still going to show the IPA Greene King Championeship next season?

Is Sky still going to show the IPA Greene King Championeship next season?

I was just as disappointed and angry as the rest of us when I found out Sky Sports had lost the rights to BT Sport to show the Aviva Premiership. I was even questioning whether I would actually need my Sky Sports subscription anymore.

I didn't cancel it though because, being Welsh, I thought I would wait and see what their RaboDirect Pro 12 coverage will be like next season, even though I find the competition pretty unexciting. But as it turns out I am very happy that I did give Sky that last chance because I discovered something new- the English Championship.

Now I must confess, I am biased because I am affiliated somewhat with the mighty Rotherham Titans- Lee Blackett (their headcoach) is also the coach at my uni rugby team as are a few of the Titan's players. They have been for the last 2 years  but I never really took an interest in the Championship until Sky's coverage. This season I have loved it though, and heres why...

Watching the Championship on TV is quite refreshing. Sure, all the players are full-time professionals but I think the rugby is, in some ways, more relatable for the fans. The teams don't seem as worried to make mistakes so there is much more of a "have-a-go" attitude than in the higher tiers of pro rugby. It is not uncommon for teams to try a move in their own 22 in the hope of getting an 80 metre try. The players have a go at little pieces of individual brilliance without the fear of being ridiculed like those playing on the International, Premiership or Pro12  players might do if it didn't come off. As Dewi repeatedly said in yesterdays Sky game, Bedford v Rotherham; "They're not going to get told off for playing rugby".

Also, it looks to me like the Sky pundits genuinely enjoy being there. The coverage comes across as a bit more spontaneous, and as a result, more fun. For example the post-match discussion is often carried out in the clubhouse whilst the fans, sometimes players too, are in the background having a pint. The rapport between everyone seems slightly less informal with Dewi doing light-hearted in-game interviews with coahing staff, throwing in the odd joke like yesterdays pork-pie gag.

The actual storyline to this years comp is pretty good too. On one hand theres the like of Bristol with piles of cash sitting at the top, signing new players such as Dwayne Peel. Then there's Rotherham who are kind of like the little engine that could, proving that moneys not everything as long as you've got a good bunch of lads who aren't afraid to have a go and play rugby. They're currently in 3rd place and it's very likely they are going to be in the play-offs for the Premiership. The top 4 are also hardly seperated in terms of points either so it's pretty exciting stuff in that regard.

I've looked online but can't seem to find anything relating to whether the Championship will still be shown next season, but I really hope Sky do continue to show it alongside their 30 Pro12 matches.

Twitter: @ScrummyRugby.

No comments:

Post a Comment