Tuesday 25 February 2014

Wales v England... The Rivalry(?)

This Six Nations was blown wide open with last Saturdays result in the England v Ireland game and for me, a proud Welshman I can not wait for the next game, not because the Championship is heating up but simply because we play England!

I grew up playing and have lived most of my life in a small Welsh town in North Wales and so from a young age I have been brainwashed to detest the English side with every fibre of my being. It's nothing personal, in fact I really like the English and have lived in Yorkshire for a few years, living amongst English people. When rugby is involved though, and its the same for every Welsh person I've met we can not stand England.

This got me wondering whether it is just Wales that feel this way and if the strong feelings held by us Welsh are reciprocated by the English rugby fans across the border.

I was brought up in a coastal town at the very north of Wales called Llandudno. It is only an or so away from the likes of Chester and Liverpool with Manchester not being much further. As a result, there is a strong English presence in my town, I've lived there all my life apart from the last couple of years and don't have the slightest hint of an accent, although I can speak Welsh (to some extent). I thought this was the reason why the rivalry is so fierce back at home. A sort of battle for bragging rights in the rugby club and local pubs but it seems it's more than that. Up and down the country Welsh men and woman hold these feelings, so it must be more. I think it stems from Wales being seen as something of the bigger, older brother to Wales. So when our teams meet in Twickenham or the Millenium Stadium the small population of Wales are (fittingly) David and the larger country, England are Goliath.

In recent years the Welsh have proved themselves but this might just be the year they tumble and choke about being the first team to win three consecutive Six Nations titles. Both teams have had a mixed start to this years tournament which makes the next fixture all the more exciting.

What are your predictions? and if you're English is Wales such a fierce rivalry for you?
Let us know at Twitter: @ScrummyRugby

No comments:

Post a Comment